Friday, February 29, 2008

Beware the Logophile

Logophile: someone who loves words.

Not to be confused with Legophile: someone (usually male) who loves small pieces of plastic that can be planted like tiny, primary-colored mines in the fibers of a bedroom's carpet, waiting for an unsuspecting mother to crush them into her bare foot while tending to her children in the middle of the night.

I discovered two new words today.

One, I find incredibly ridiculous in a fascinating sort of way.

Pulchritudinous: beautiful, gorgeous, lovely.

One wonders why this gem of a word hasn't made its way onto the glossy cover of millions of Valentine's cards. Smart is sexy, right? Although since the pronunciation of this word is highly reminiscent of the mouth-motions made immediately before vomiting, perhaps only someone as suave as say - George Clooney or Pierce Brosnen could carry it off.

The other word just made me laugh. All of my friends tease me about my proliferous use of fancy words. Now they can use a fancy word of their own to describe me (if they practice the pronunciation first!):

Sesquipedalian: characterized by the use of long words.

Look, everyone! I'm a loquacious sesquipedalian!

Hey, it's not everyone who can accurately describe themselves using multi-syllabic words, both of which contain the letter "q".

6 comments:

  1. Remind me never to play Scrabble with you. :D

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you CJ, only you...

    I challenge you to a game a scrabble. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol.

    Katy: I don't like Scrabble. I never have enough tiles to make the words I want to use. =)

    Paul: It's like you WANT to experience pain and defeat. Like you're begging for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, you have been using words I had to look up since 2nd grade!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uum...maybe you can come up with a new word using "Q" without a "U". The only word in the dictionary without a "U" is qoph...and I forget what that means

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why C.J, you pulchritudinous, loquacious sesquipedalian, you!

    Say that 5 times fast.

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...